The Katzenjammer Castle was built in 1907 after a fire consumed the Egyptian Labyrinth Maze, the first fun house.

 

The Castle, also a fun house, was reported to contain a large slide terminating in a bowl and rotating disc ride where the riders seated themselves as close as possible to the center. When the ride started, the rotation speed was slowly increased until the riders were thrown off the spinning disc. If a rider was lucky enough to get in the center position and not thrown off, the ride operator would deliver a low voltage shock to the rider’s bottom to convince him to move!

 

The Katzenjammer was the only concrete block building in the park. An archaeological dig was completed at the site in 1997.

 

FUN HOUSE

Click on photo above to view a larger version.

Friends of Brandywine Springs
P.O. Box 5323
Wilmington, DE 19808-0323

fobs@fobsde.org

Copyright © 2008 - Friends of Brandywine Springs All rights reserved. | Membership Application | Info