At the west side of the Park (and along what is now Route 41) was the man-made Lake Washington.
LATEST NEWS: (04/22/09)
Lake Washington has been restored. The Friends of Brandywine Springs would like to thank the New Castle County Special Services Department staff for their long-term commitment and hard work to get this restoration project completed. We are waiting for the final inspections to be completed. Thank You! Click here to see photos and read the complete story of the restoration.
The Lake was constructed in 1898 and named in honor of George Washington. A large island was built in the middle of the lake and was named Howe's Island, after British Commander Lord Howe. The armies of Washington and Howe had almost fought near the park during the American Revolution. The average depth of the Lake was only three feet in order to prevent patrons from drowning.
In 1911, a Dance Hall was built in the middle of Lake Washington, and patrons could access the Dance Hall either by boat or by bridge.
This photo looks northwest and shows the Hungarian Village (left) and the Dance Hall (right). Above the Hungarian Village, the tracks of the West Chester, Kennett & Wilmington Electric Railway recede in the distance.
This photo shows the Lake before the 1911 improvements, which included construction of the islands and Dance Hall. On the far side of the Lake is the gypsy camp where Mrs. Worth told the fortunes of park visitors. In the foreground: the personal transportation of the day.
Click any photo above to view a larger version.